Monday, May 16, 2011

Finally in New Zealand!


Beautiful New Zealand as seen from the ferry to Picton
Dear Lulu,


So much has happened since the last time I wrote to you. I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. I guess I will just start where we left off. As I said I was leaving Langkawi and heading to Kuala Lumpur with Sofi. We managed to get a couch surf host for the two days we were there. She lived on a college campus and we were staying in a dorm room. It was a rather humorous situation filled with Drama. I guess it was no different than when I lived in a dorm when I was in college. They were extremely nice and drove us around the city and even picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. I got to see the twin towers, but apart from that there wasn’t much else we did there.
Twin Towers

Our couch hosts

One of the twin towers at night

The night before we left Kuala Lumpur to go to Singapore we did a little research online to see what there was to do. Well, come to find out, the only things Singapore is known for other than being really clean and strict is food and shopping. So Sofi and I felt obligated to eat and shop. I mean that is what any decent tourist is meant to do in Singapore. It’s not like we enjoyed it…. I must say they do have some amazing food there. You would have loved it. You can find any type of cuisine you could ever want. You could also find any store you could ever want and more! It was almost as bad as Hong Kong, but I think Hong Kong still takes the prize for the most shopping mall and designer stores. Sofi and I spent the day going through all the shops and managed to get out with only a pair of jeans. As you know from China, my jeans split across the butt, so I needed a new pair for New Zealand. Plus I finished the job by cutting them off for Malaysia. It was strange being back in a more western feeling city going shopping and eating out and going to the movies. Yes, we went to the movies twice and ate massive amounts of popcorn. I think I have finally found a country that serves things in larger sizes than the states. Lets just say we were served buckets of popcorn and our medium drink looked like the super sized soda you get at Mcdonalds.
Little India...Have they been to India?

I am way to excited for our oversized popcorn and sodas

China Town, again it was spotless and perfectly maintained.
I don't think there is on place in Sigapore that isn't.
I had a great time with Sofi and was sad to say goodbye to her again. I know I will see her again in a few months so it was a bit easier this time. She left for Australia and I caught a plane to New Zealand! I got here a few days ago and already I am in love with the place. I flew into Wellington and the view from the plane was amazing. First my day started with an amazing sun rise from the plane and then I got to see the green mountains of New Zealand. I spent the night in Wellington and then caught the ferry the next morning to the South Island to start making my way to Nelson. Everywhere I look is another breathtaking view. The ferry ride was amazing.
Sunrise out my plane window

More sunrise

View from the ferry

Unfortunately, the ferry was delayed so I missed the bus to Nelson. I didn’t want to spend the night in Picton so I asked the girl at the information desk if I could hitch and where the best place to stand was. Funny enough she said it was really easy and showed me on a map where to stand and helped me make a sign for Nelson. Everyone here is so nice I can’t believe it. I managed to get a ride within five minutes and was on my way. I was picked up by a band on their way to play a gig in Nelson. They were really nice and we talked about music and travel and they gave me a bunch of advice on their country. Two hours later I was in Nelson! What a great city. I really think this place was made for me. I have only been here for two days and it already feels like home. I have been to a national basketball game, gone to an organ concert at the old catholic cathedral, been invited to an art opening, purused the local library, been to the Saturday market, been shown around to all the bars, looked through a bunch of second hand stores and just wandered through the city. I have made a couple of good friends that I met through couch surfing and they have been great at welcoming me and showing me around. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the town is full of organic cafes and yoga studios, and there is so much good wine! I love this place. It is really cute and quaint as well. I feel at times like I am on a movie set.
The band that gave me a ride

National league game

Nelson city street

The organ that I listened to at the concert

More of the Cathedral

I am searching for a job and an apartment at the moment but don’t think it will be too hard. At least I hope it won’t be. Andrew, my couch surfing friend, is helping me out a lot. I am here a bit off season for the vineyard work I was hoping to get, but I am sure I will find something to do. There are a lot of outdoor stores hiring…. I don’t know if I want to do that again, but we will see what happens.
Saturday Market

My friend Ute picking out some pears

Love this kid's face (also at the Saturday market)

There is so much to do here and so much to see. I am so excited to do it all. Sounds like you are still having a good time in Ireland. I am glad to hear you haven’t made any cooking disasters yet. I can’t wait to get home and cook with you and JJ (no not the cat). I think it’s funny that the cat and Jeannette have the same name. Hehe!

Love you,

Kiki

No comments:

Post a Comment

New to the blog? Get email updates and keep track of us by subscribing
to our email list.