Thursday, April 28, 2011

Macroom for more


Rosie's pub
The day before I left the Devoy's I went to a traditional music festival in Ballydehob. I could not find anyone going there from Rosscarberry so I decided to hitchike there. I got picked up by a guy with a horse trailer. He was really nice and he even bought me a half pint of Murphy's at a pub he had to stop at. After about 10 minutes of talking he offered me a job in August as a wwoofer or au pair. We stopped at his house and I helped him feed his horses and saw where I would stay if I took the job. Then he took me into town and paid for my entrance into the show. His wife bought me a beer and showed me to the best local pub Rosie's. I stayed out listening to music until about 2:30 in the morning. I knew a guy in town and he offered to let me crash at his place since there was no way I was going to bet a ride at night. The next morning I got up early and he dropped me off at the best hitching site in town. It was good because it only took me about 5 minutes to get a lift. He was really nice and we talked about traveling and how it is the best thing and how you meet such great people on the road.

The Witcherly's aka my lift to Ballydehob

Pilgrims? no welsh dancers

I miss the Devoy's, but I have been in macroom for almost two weeks and I am loving it. This is the wwoof host I have been looking for. They are small and just produce enough for themselves. The days are slow and relaxed with lots of breaks for tea. She cooks great food and bakes delicious cakes and scones. I am learning so much. I think that I want something like this when I get a garden, or I could just tell my parents that I am going to plow up part of their land and start a garden and then move away. I don't think they would like that. I have always had a dream of looking out the back window and seeing rows of sweet corn. You are probably laughing at me but I don't care.

Stone wall and a shamrock the only thing missing is a redhaired guinness drinking leprechaun

stream down the road from the Cadec's farm (wwoof host)

They have three dogs that are just too cute. I want to take one them home with me. Lucy, Effa and Tyke make my time here so entertaining. Every time I go out to the garden Effa runs in front of me jumping in circles. She is so sweet and I think that hank needs a friend. I spend all of my free time playing with them. I can not get enough of their cuteness.

Fortunately there has not been any crazy things happening on this farm. The problem with everything going as planned is that there are not many good stories. I just wake up late and have a relaxed breakfast of muesli and tea. We chat of a while and then I go out to the garden and do a little work for a few hours and then we have lunch. Then I do a few more things outside with Mike. At night we have dinner and watch a movie.

This weekend we did go to a national park with their three sons. It was great fun to walk around with them and see all the plants and the estate. Every part of Cork that I have seen is stunningly beautiful. I am so glad that I decided to come. Thank you Michelle for telling me about your home county. I have been learning a lot about the IRA and history of Ireland. We watched a great film the other night Wind that Shakes the Barley. It was shot in the area and though it is not 100% accurate it is still a good take on the problems Ireland faced with England.
Simon playing with tyke and effa

Simon with dad Mike my wwoof host

Estate on National park

Since arriving in Ireland I have met a plant that I have grown to hate. I know that it seems harsh to say that I hate a plant, but this plant is a terrible beast that is out to get me. NETTLES It hid in grass and under spinach at the Devoy's and now at the Cadec's it just taunts me out in the open. Every time I touch, brush against, or sit on it I feel this intense pain like I have just been cut with a razor. Then my hand or whatever body part has come in contact with it starts to bun and then tingle. This last about a day. Yes it is terrible. Yes there is tons of it around the garden. Yes I was asked to clear a section of it with sears. My ass is still burning from where I sat on some while trying to get under a fence. Yes I had pants on. I guess that is the way life is.
Nettle

I am sure that you do not have nettles in Malaysia....Lucky.

Tomorrow I start my new job as an au pair for four Irish-French kids. Wish me luck.

Lulu

No comments:

Post a Comment

New to the blog? Get email updates and keep track of us by subscribing
to our email list.