Saturday, August 21, 2010

Riobamba Food

Kite Flying at Dusk

When we got to Riobamba after the horseback riding we went with our couch surfing host Wladimir and his fiancé to get dinner. It was to this little hole in the wall that only served one thing, pinchos with choclo. We had this kabob of beef, sausage, and potato and a side of grilled corn on the cob slathered in mayo. To wash it all down we had a Tropical soda, it kind of taste like fizzy fruitiness. It was all delicious. It was a perfect first meal with him because you really had to go in with your hands and pull the meat of the kabob. I was delighted with the meal and had a new respect for Wald’s restaurant taste.


We were on our own for breakfast the next day and of course we went to a local pastry shop and had about one of everything. This wasn’t just some small little shop it was huge with at least 6 glass display cases for cookies, breads, donuts, cakes, empanadas, and an assortment of delicious pastries. We ate our fill and took some with us.

For lunch we went with Wlady for hornado. And let me say that this dish is by far my favorite dish in Ecuador so far. For anyone that likes pork this is like heaven. Well I guess Ecuador would be heaven because I do not think that I have ever seen a country so devoted to the consumption of this four legged deliciousness. Back to the dish, they take a whole pig and slow roast it on a spit then they slice it up and serve it with potatoes in a peanut sauce and mote (boiled corn) with this sauce on top that has a slight sour taste. Oh and I almost forgot a crispy piece of pig skin as well. This is a little different than the weird sweet version they serve in Quito and it is about ten times better. With this meal we had a fruit shake basically blended fruit with water and sugar and it tasted like the best strawberry shake I have ever had. I do not know how they make it taste so creamy without adding milk. Let’s just say that when we finished our meal there was nothing left. Everything was just so good. I wanted to go and get another shake but I was so full I had to resist.

That night we went to go get fritada with a couple from Poland about to climb Chimborazo. Wlad dropped us off but had to go to dinner with his fiancé and their families so he was unable to join us for the meal. I was not that impressed with this dish. It consists of chunks of pork pan fried with a side of potatoes and salad. It was really fatty and a little tough. I had to leave have of mine because it was just fat. I am looking forward to trying in Loja because I hear it is made with less fatty pieces of pork. We left full and went for a walk around the downtown and chatted with the Polish couple. I was full but a little disappointed in the meal. I still do not understand how you can mess up fried pork.

That night Christina had extremely bad heart burn and had really intense pain. All night she was tossing and turning and eating Tums but nothing helped. The next morning she was still feeling horrible so I asked Wlady if he knew of anything she could take and his Australian friend who as well has had stomach issues was also in the room and he knew of some remedies that have worked for him in the past. He took her to the pharmacy to pick up some buscapinas and some yogurt. When they came back she took the meds and drank her yogurt and about an hour later she was feeling better. I was feeling fine and I was getting hungry so we went for breakfast.

Breakfast consisted of encebollada, which to anyone not used to eating soup for breakfast is an odd meal. It is a soup usually served with tuna but can have shrimp or other seafood in it and yes this is breakfast. It comes with bread and popcorn to dip in the soup. I guess it is like people in the south having steak for breakfast. Anyway it was really good and I thorughly enjoyed it. Although Christina was still not feeling quite right she did try it and would have had more but she just did not want to push her stomach.

After filling up on soup and Christina prepared for the worst with a bag full of meds we headed for the bus station to catch the bus to Cuenca.

I know it is quite sad that the only thing we did it Riobamba was eat but the food there was just so delicious that we could not help ourselves. Also we were exhausted from the horseback riding trip so we thought it best to rest for a few days while we had the chance.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

New to the blog? Get email updates and keep track of us by subscribing
to our email list.